Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Vetchies Reef.

So this past Saturday was one of those rare days when Durban's secret reef was rideable.

Now, after all the hype for most of the preceding week, as to how good Durban was going to get I arrived in town to fun-ish (with a capital ISH) little peaks in the bowls but rather washy (too washy to swim with the camera) and very crowded, leaving me disappointed as well as boardless, because knowing how good it was supposed to be, I KNEW I was going to shoot which re-taught me that old addage about counting my eggs.

Anyway, in my disappointment I started investigating any options available to me for some clean, fun surf I could shoot and ended up checking out Vetchies after hearing some rumours about guys scoring it on the high during the week.

This really is Durban's secret reef, only working every now and then, never getting big, but always alot of fun and hidden in plain sight in the shadow of the Harbour mouth! There was quite a contingent on the peak but the majority of the crew were older guys or groms so there were definitely some to be had!

The crew sillhouetted on my swim out.

If you've never surfed it as a Durbanite you should, it's never big and it's always fun when it's on, but be warned, it's pretty shallow (and sharp)

Errol Wiles Riding the Boils.

I've posted a few more photos to my Facebook Page so be sure to keep an eye on it! 

2 comments:

  1. great photos!!
    Greetings from speedboys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey friends,
    I loved all of these posts. A lot of these things we have, but I got some really great ideas.

    ReplyDelete